Football super star Lionel Messi has been formally made an offer for a two-year contract to join Paris Saint-Germain, claimed several reports.
An initial two-year deal has reportedly been offered by the French football club which is believed to be worth £25m a year after tax. Reports suggested that the offer is being carefully considered by the six-time Ballon d’Or winner and his representatives.
Reports also suggested that two other potential options for professional contracts are also available with Messi but the PSG is believed to be the one that is most likely to be taken up by the footballer.
Earlier last week, Barcelona announced that it would be possible for Messi to continue playing at the club since the club was not able to fulfill a new contract that had been agreed with the player because of “financial and structural obstacles”.
A direct interaction between the Argentina international player and PSG head coach Mauricio Pochettino had taken place this week about the former’s joining the French football club.
“That is one possibility, to reach those heights. I’ve got nothing confirmed with anybody. I had a lot of calls, a lot of interested clubs. At the moment, nothing is closed, but we are talking about a lot of things,” Messi said at his farewell news conference on Sunday when he was asked if PSG will be his next move.
PSG quickly emerged as the front-runners for his signature, in a move that would reunite him with former Barcelona team-mate Neymar.
In an emotional farewell news conference on Sunday, Messi said he did not want to leave Barcelona. In his final Barcelona press conference for announcing the end of his 21 years with the club, a standing ovation was given to Messi who was visibly in tears.
Messi’s departure from the club was confirmed by Barcelona on Thursday last week which was the same day that Messi had got back to Catalonia following his post-Copa America holiday.
On his arrival, Messi had been expecting to agree on the details of the announcement of his new five-year deal and he had even confirmed that he had agreed to a contract that would have 50 per cent cut in his salary.
“This year, my family and I were convinced we were going to stay at home, that’s what we all wanted more than anything,” said Messi. “We’d always made this our own, we were at home. We thought we would be staying here in Barcelona. But today, we have to say goodbye to all of this,” he added.
(Adapted from CNBC.com)