On Thursday, Europe’s biggest food ordering and delivery company, Just Eat Takeaway said, in March its orders had registered a temporarily declined since restaurants were closed as part of a measure imposed by government to contain the spread of the coronavirus.
The volume of orders registered a strong growth towards the end of March, including in its primary markets in Germany, Netherlands, and Poland.
In fact, in the Netherlands, nearly 2,000 new restaurants signed up for its services following the government ordering restaurants to close down to the public.
In its main markets, average order volumes have have grown significantly. However, they are expected to return to normal levels once the coronavirus crisis passes.
“Takeaway.com is one of the few, and privileged, companies that has only modestly been affected by the crisis”, said Jitse Groen, the company’s Chief Executive in a statement. “The most notable effect on our figures has been, what we now believe to be, a temporary impact on our March orders.”
In the first quarter of this year, order volumes in the Netherlands have increased by 11%.
last month, in a statement Takeaway had said it would Dutch restaurants a grace period of up to a month for providing payments for its services.
In the first three months of his year, total orders for the group have jumped by 50%. This can be largely traced back to its acquisition of Delivery Hero’s German operations in April 2019.
In January, Takeaway.com had acquired the operations of its UK-based competitor Just Eat. The deal is yet to get approval from British competition regulators who are still reviewing it.
Both companies are being operated separately pending a final approval from Britain’s antitrust regulators.