No announcement of tariffs on import of European cars into the United States will be announced by Washington next week. This was said by the outgoing president of the European Commission Jean-Claude Juncker.
A decision about whether to implement new tariffs on European carmakers has to be taken by the US President Donald Trump by November 13. This date was set after an argument in May by Trump that the import of European autos into the US posed a threat to the national security of the country.
Trump will not go ahead with new tariffs, said Sueddeutsche Zeitung, Juncker, who leads the EU’s executive arm, in an interview with the German newspaper. “Trump will ruffle a bit, but there will be no automobile tariffs” Juncker told the German newspaper, according to a literal translation on Google translate.
Since Trump came to power, there has been tension between the US and the European Union in terms of the trade between the two conventional trading partners. Trump also ended a process of negotiations on a possible trade deal between the two partners that had been started by the previous US administration and was ongoing till Trump became the president. Additionally, tariff on import of steel and aluminium from Europe was also imposed by Trump last year. In retaliation, import tariffs on 2.8 billion euros worth of US goods was imposed by the EU a few months later.
And in the latest round of tariffs, duties on $7.5 billion worth of European goods were announced by the US in October. This decision was related to a dispute at the World Trade Organization (WTO) over subsidies to airlines.
Despite the existing trade tensions between the partners, last month, there was conversation over the phone about transatlantic trade between EU Trade Commissioner Cecilia Malmstrom and Robert Lighthizer, the US trade representative, according to a report aired by CNBC. That phone call was the first high level contact bon trade between the two parties since the last round of US tariffs on Europe.
A viable alternative to imposing these new car duties in November could be new talks with Europe, said US Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross in an interview to the Financial Times last month.
No comments on the issue were available in the media in recent times by the White House.
(Adapted from CNBC.com)