Manufacturing companies appear to be done with contingency plans. They are now doubling down on their alternative plan and moving their production out of Britain due to lack of clarity from Brexit.
As per a report from The Times, Ford Motor Co has informed British Prime Minister Theresa May that it preparing to move out its production to an alternative site outside of Britain.
The automaker disclosed the information during a private call with business leaders.
Ford was not immediately available for comment.
Ford operates two engine plants in Britain. Last month, it said it faces heightened cost of up to $1 billion if Britain was to leave the EU without a deal.
Manufacturers across industries have warned of a heavy toll on them in case of a no-deal Brexit, which is likely to rip apart supply chains, boost tariffs and slash jobs in Britain.
Britain is scheduled to leave the European Union on March 29, 2019.
As per another participant on the private call with May, other companies have also delivered the same warning as Ford, said The Times.
“This isn’t about contingencies any more – we are taking steps because of the uncertainty. It’s real,” said the participant during the call.
The development comes in the wake of Nissan Motor Co stating last week that it has scrapped plans to build its new X-Trail SUV in Britain and will instead produce it solely in Japan. Uncertainty over Brexit forced it to change its plan for the X-Trail SUV.
Incidentally, Ford is the top-selling automotive brand in Britain with the carmaker employing 13,000 people in the country.
Britain is also Ford’s third-largest market and the destination for roughly one in three cars made at its plant in Cologne, Germany.