Continued Denuclearization Demands By U.S. Could Derail Trump Summit: North Korea

The persistence of the United States that North Korea give up all of its nuclear weapons could result in the rogue state puling out of the proposed talks with U.S. President Donald Trump. This threat was issued as North Korea suddenly cancelled scheduled high-level talks with Seoul.

The North Korean state media quoted an official of the country saying that they would have no interest in holding summit level meetings with Trump if the U.S. tried to impose a one-sided condition of North Korea giving up nuclear arms.

The future of the meeting with the U.S and all bilateral relationship “would be clear” if Washington speaks of a Libya-style denuclearisation for North Korea, said North Korea’s central news agency quoting first vice minister of foreign affairs Kim Kye Gwan.

If Trump followed what his predecessors did, he would be a “failed president”, the statement added.

“We will appropriately respond to the Trump administration if it approaches the North Korea-US summit meeting with a truthful intent to improve relations,” Kim said.

He added: “But we are no longer interested in a negotiation that will be all about driving us into a corner and making a one-sided demand for us to give up our nukes and this would force us to reconsider whether we would accept the North Korea-US summit meeting.”

The statement was preceded by the decision by North Korea to call off a meeting with South Korean officials barely a couple of hours before it was scheduled to begin on Wednesday as a mark of protest of the US-South Korea joint military exercises.

The military drills were meant to enhance the skills of the pilots and were completely defensive in nature, said South Korea’s defence ministry and added that the exercises will continue.

This exercise is among a number of similar yearly drills that US and South Korean military hold together and North Korea has always condemned such exercises in the past also.

Pyongyang’s decision was described as “regrettable” by Baik Tae-hyun, a spokesman for South Korea’s unification ministry and said that it was against the “spirit and purpose” of the Panmunjom declaration that was agreed to between Kim and the South Korean president, Moon Jae-in, last month.

While urging North Korea to swiftly get back at the talks, Baik stopped short of speculating whether this action by North Korea would impact the planned meeting between Kim and Trump next month.

(Adapted from TheGuardian.com)

Advertisements


Categories: Geopolitics, Strategy, Sustainability, Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: